Wednesday 31 July 2013

Films


The Neverending Story
 


The Neverending Story is a German Fantasy Novel written by Michael Ende, first published in 1979. The Standard English translation, by Ralph Manheim, was first published in 1983 and was then later adapted into a film. I have to admit I have only seen the film and it is still one of my favorites. I think it’s because it always brings me back to my childhood. There is such an adventure in this story, which is also filled with so much danger and mystery. From a child’s view I believe it’s frightening but not the kind that stops you from watching and I love the idea that a book can written as you’re reading it, which also makes it haunting in an intriguing way.
I wanted to use this film as an example because of the character Falkor and particularly how the director portrayed him. He is a gentle giant, with fur, floppy ears and a long steam-lined body, very much like a Dachshund dog (sausage dog). I have always viewed him as a dragon, as he should be, despite the fact that he doesn’t have any of the typical characteristics that would make you think he is a dragon. He doesn’t have wings or scales and he doesn’t breathe fire. Yet in terms of creating a lovable dragon character for my book, I think Falkor is the perfect inspiration.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment