Wednesday 31 July 2013

Films


Eragon
How to Train your Dragon

Dragon Heart
The Dark Crystal
 
I’ve picked some of the films I’ve particularly enjoyed in the past. It’s probably even more obvious that I am a dragon and fantasy person. My least favourite in fact was ‘Eragon’ but simply because I didn’t like the actors in it, rather than the story itself. I suppose I also felt that I didn’t like the script in comparison to the book. However, I love how the dragon has been designed in this film. It’s very similar to the illustrations on the front of the book; very elegant and I think it’s safe to say a very attractive, lady-looking dragon. She has very soft qualities to her features which make her approachable.
I think everyone adores Toothless in ‘How to train your Dragon’. Being black makes him sinister at first but his expressive face also and more importantly, makes him so endearing. As this is the most recent film, along with the target audience, this film can have a huge influence on developing my dragons.
In ‘Dragon Heart’ we see the gentle Drago take sides with a knight Bowen. At first it’s all for work and fun but they later realise that in order to save the Kingdom they must kill Draco, as he gave half of his heart to the King to safe him. Unfortunately the King is evil, and the whole time Drago is alive, remains immortal. This story always breaks my heart when I watch it and I think many will agree that none one wants to see Drago go. He is a brilliant character because he brings everything you would expect from a dragon yet he also contradicts it all. He’s the one people go to for help, he’s the one the evil King fears and when he’s gone we’re left to still believe that he’s watching us from the stars. He has to be my all time favourite.
Finally I wanted to include ‘The Dark Crystal’ because of the wicked Skeksis and the gentle Mystics. Both are part lizard, bird of prey and beast. There are clear similarities between the two and I think it important to see how the two have been developed to create evil and good. These contrasts are very obvious in their features and qualities and I would like to use this in my own development.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment