Wednesday 16 October 2013

Visualisations of Mental Illness: Monster Form


This came up posted by one of my friends earlier today on Facebook and I thought I should include it on here simply because of the experiences my brother John (my dance partner also) and I have been through (depression). 

Toby Allen, the artist of these drawings has created images for mental illnesses as though they were mythical creatures.









The interesting thing that I find about these is that I think they're actually much too attractive to be any of the illnesses they're meant to be portraying but then it states at the top of the article that Allen wanted them to seem 'beatable'. I feel this makes much more sense with the way they've been portrayed and I like that thought 'beatable' because they all are! No matter how difficult it gets, no matter how you feel, they are beatable illnesses and I think these illustrations turn the downs into a huge positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment