Monday 24 March 2014

Noma Bar








Some of Noma's other work besides his faces ;) … 





We were fortunate enough to be joined by Noma Bar this week, where he treated us to a show about his work. The funniest thing about the whole experience was that towards the end when we were asked if we wanted to ask any questions, the whole room remained in silence. But I can honestly say that it was't because we didn't have any questions, I think it had more to do with the fact that we were all is awe! 

Noma Bar's work appears in the most simplistic form yet even after he explained, it is so clear that he spends hours and hours, reading and trying to understand his subject matter. As my tutors put it, 'a fantastic illustrator can make a line look effortless, but what the viewers don't see is the amount of time taken to make that mark and to understand the subject enough to produce it so accurately.' 

He showed us some of the drawings he had done from when he was younger and there was a clear theme appearing in his work before he even realised. Mainly he finds ways of incorporating more than one subject into an image. From this he simply progressed further and further, experimenting first in 2D, then attempting the same thing with an interactive paper cutting monster, putting his work into woodwork and metal, 3D and so on. He caught my interest particularly when he explained about a book he had done 'Peter and the Wolf'. I didn't ask whether it was a children's book or not but it was based on a children's story and I was fascinated because it wash;t the sort of work I expected Noma to go for. It just goes to show that even he wants to experiment and it's refreshing to know another illustrator who refuses to be stuck with one theme. 

It was also interesting how much his background had influenced his work. He was born in Israel and around his childhood there was a lot of conflict; he went to the navy for 3 years and then decided to do 4 years in graphic design so producing projects about conflicting countries seemed a personal subject. When he showed us these images they were extremely emotive. 

One thing Noma finally spoke about, which I think is gradually becoming a regular theme from the talks I've been attending, is that we should do the things we want to do in illustration. If we're not enjoying it then there's something wrong. 

"Try to be honest with yourself. Try not to be confused by the things you see around you."

Finally I'm starting to realise that I should (in a way) be worrying less about my grade at the end of this course - not that it isn't important because I firmly believe that it is, but I've come across so many illustrators now that have experienced many different things in their life before coming to their realisation about illustration. Finally I think I'm starting to realise that I should be enjoying my work, which I am at the moment, and worrying less about what anyone thinks. I know that these illustrators will continue to inspire, I hope that I can continue to let them help me believe in my own ability. 

So without sounding too cringey! I'd really like to thank … 

of course Noma Bar

and all those who inspired me x

No comments:

Post a Comment