Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tim McDonagh





So today it was MAD fest a chance for all the creatives around the uni to get together and put on shows, showcase their work, do talks, exhibitions, events, and loads more crazy and eventful things. I currently feel like I'm running around like a headless chicken the whole time at the moment so unfortunately I didn't have loads of time to stop and appreciate it as I would normally like to but I did however manage to squeeze in the opportunity to sit in with a talk by Tim McDonagh. 

Tim is an ex student from Westminster and he was invited back to talk to us all about his work prior uni, during and after. I also managed to ask for his advice after which was a huge help. I was fascinated from the start because just after 2 seconds into his talk he listed some of his clients since university and the list was huge! Amongst some of them were HMV, Nike, Virgin, the Sunday Times, Newsweek, Penguin and Newscientist and believe me these are just a few. What struck me most was how wide his clients were in terms of their styles and the types of illustration that are expected of them. For example some are Editorial whereas something like Penguin would suggest children's books. These are two very different ways of entering the illustration world, so Tim obviously has no limits which is hugely inspiring. To me that shows he's not healed back and hasn't been stuck in one style. Everything is OPEN! 

Another thing which hit me was how much he stressed the importance of 'enjoying the illustration', that we should only be drawing what we enjoy and the way we enjoy things. Again this is so encouraging to know that someone can go into the real world and be successful for ENJOYING something. Along the way he haves us tips on selling our work, agents, how to approach briefs and pieces of work and so on which was a brilliant insight from someone who genuinely seemed to really enjoy what he was doing but rolled with it. 

I really like Tim's style of work. Personally I have always appreciated and 'enjoyed' creating extremely detailed pieces of work so when he presented us with some of his own I was instantly engrossed. I've always been told that detail freezes a drawing but with Tim's work this is clearly not the case and instead we're given a bold but captivating and beautiful image, which is almost like a window into another world. Perhaps I'm over describing but I'll leave you with his website so you can see why I love his work so much. :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment