Monday 6 January 2014

On the Front - Black details and Cutouts














This is my final dummy book which I will hand in for my deadline. As with any dummy book there are many things which I can do over and over again and in many different ways, however for this project I decided that a dummy book is what I was working towards. It has incorporated the idea of the sliding pages with the cutout text. I liked this book as it was more interactive, especially I felt, for children. I went with a long, landscape rectangle instead of a classic portrait as it seemed to flow with the movement from the kittens more - we as an audience can watch them move through the garden, digging up the flowers. However with the working sliding pages, it's probably slightly too long even though I had already cut them down. 

I also like the black and white detailed drawings, even if only small, on the front of the page before we are revealed an explosion of vibrant colour and movement. The shame thing about the black and white detail is that in places it does actually make the text very difficult to read but it's another element which I wouldn't have realised if I hadn't tried it. The two contrasts almost remind me of 'The Wizard of Oz'. The real world is black and white whereas Oz is in colour, so perhaps the meaning between the film and my book is different but the imagery is inspired. 

On the whole this dummy book may actually be a little overbearing on it's on. Looking over it I am pleased with the amount of work put into it and the ways things have developed over the past few months, but at the time I have almost included everything in it. This can be too much. However, I'm proud of trying these ideas and attempting to make this book. It's true that there were plenty of times when I ran out of paper or didn't have the correct materials so I had to make do with what I had. But I think that is what also makes this an achievement. I've learnt a lot from this, I'm already thinking of ways I can use a laser cutter for the text and what type of paper I should to create the sliding pages more affectively. I also know how I want to develop the images further. I'm just looking forward now to the next stage in my illustration and where it will take me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment