Wednesday 8 January 2014

Reflective Summary

Here is my submission of my reflective summary for this project. Thought I'd keep you all updated on every part of my project. Right up to the deadline!

MIVC 600.1 Practice, Research and Professional Development

Reflective Summary
Coursework 3

Initially this Semester, I started with two projects: one based on dance and the other on a children's book. However a few weeks into both, it became very clear that I wanted to continue with the children’s book only. Doing something personal was important, so I could present 'me' through my illustration. After discovering a poem my Nan had written, I realised using it for a children’s book was an opportunity just waiting to happen. I intend on eventually working with Pancreatic Cancer Research to raise money for their cause by publishing the book. Overall, I am extremely passionate about this, not only as a poem and what it means on a personal level, but with my illustration skills.
The most significant development in my work during this project has been how I've experimented with materials. I've previously worked using mixed media but when I discovered the affects I could create with oil pastel underneath watercolour I found it allowed me to freely create an explosion of colour and fluidity but still present a structural image. This allowed me to expand my visual vocabulary and loosen my style of drawing.
This progressed onto exploring ways of presenting the text which I experimented with cutting out. I'm not entirely convinced that it's the clearest for reading but I felt that the cut-outs gave a glimpse of what was lying underneath the pages.
I encountered a few problems, specifically when developing a storyboard. Unfortunately I found it interrupted my inspiration. However, having practiced it, I would now rethink about the slides, where to position the characters and how to display the images. Another problem was when it came to incorporating all the elements I'd developed into one book. I think my final dummy is domineering. If I were to continue with this I'd be aware of what I'm including and consider which elements go well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment